Everything about electrolyte imbalance – from cause to cure
Everything about electrolyte imbalance – from cause to cure 29th September 2022
Electrolyte imbalance is a frequent issue resulting from a poor diet or excessive physical activity. Our body fluids dissolve electrolytes, which are essential for the efficient operation and coordination of our muscles and brain. Some people are more prone to develop this condition than others. You may be experiencing an electrolyte imbalance if you wake up with muscle cramps at night. It may potentially be fatal if this ailment is not treated in time.
The best way to determine if you have an electrolyte imbalance is to perform a complete health checkup and understand your medical history. Ask your doctor about your current medications, including antacids and diuretics. This will help you determine if a particular medication or condition may be causing the problem.
The next step is to get your body checked out with a comprehensive metabolic panel blood test. An arterial blood gas test will determine the acid-base balance of your body, which can also indicate an electrolyte imbalance. Does all of this sound too costly? If yes, make sure that you have good health insurance plans in India well in advance to cover you up.
In this blog, we have covered everything from symptoms to treatment. So, stay tuned till the end.
● Several factors can contribute to an electrolyte imbalance in the body. These include diuretics, cancer treatments, and certain medications. In severe cases, electrolyte imbalance can lead to cardiac problems or even death.
● In addition, hypokalemia can be caused by drugs that dilute the body's water, such as lithium.
● It is important to seek medical attention for electrolyte imbalance immediately when you notice symptoms. Rehydration can help relieve the symptoms and restore proper electrolyte balance. A blood chemistry test can diagnose electrolyte imbalance.
● Dry tongue, weakness, and dizziness can all be signs of electrolyte imbalance.
● Another cause of electrolyte imbalance is a faulty diet or a deficiency of certain minerals.
● Excessive loss of fluids is a major result of an electrolyte imbalance. Treatment for an electrolyte imbalance often involves adjusting your water intake and administering electrolyte fluids or medications.
Electrolyte impacts the body's ability to perform many vital functions, including regulating body temperature, easing blood circulation, and digestion. The human body needs high blood plasma electrolytes to keep these functions balanced and normal. Abnormalities in the levels of minerals like sodium, potassium, or calcium result in the imbalance of electrolytes.
The best electrolyte imbalance treatment is to increase fluid intake. This can be done through intravenous fluids or by drinking concentrated electrolyte replenishing drinks. These drinks contain 15 naturally-sourced electrolytes and vitamins. They also prevent the development of electrolyte deficiencies. Further, you should consult a health care professional for diagnosis and treatment if your symptoms don't subside after a prolonged time.
Electrolyte imbalance can be a troublesome issue in the long run, so it's recommended that you stay prepared in advance for yourself and your loved ones. Wondering how? Simply maintain the appropriate electrolyte levels and invest in reliable health insurance plans in India. This may sound like preparing well in advance for the danger and being negative. If you are ready beforehand, you wouldn't have to worry about the arrangement of resources at the end if anything as such ever comes up in your life.
Click HERE to buy the best health insurance plans in India as a safety net for you and your family.
Disclaimer: The information provided above is for illustrative purposes only. To get more details, please refer to policy wordings and prospectus before purchasing a policy.