How walking 10,000 steps can be a life-changing activity
How walking 10,000 steps can be a life-changing activity 20th June 2022
We have heard stories from our grandparents and parents about their struggles and how things were accomplished on foot back in their old days. And as much as we appreciate the ease of living under the present circumstances, we often end up being couch potatoes and getting everything done from the comfort of our homes.
In today's technology-driven world, machines are replacing human efforts. Almost anything and everything can be done with a few clicks, from getting groceries delivered to our doorsteps, a cab waiting at our gates, or booking a movie ticket.
But this ease and convenience come at a cost. Around forty percent of youth face various health issues from obesity and lethargy. Lack of physical exercise, long working hours, and an unhealthy diet have led to severe prolonged health issues.
In this article, we will look at how incorporating fundamental physical activity into our daily lives will yield significant benefits in the future. Let's talk about putting that smartwatch into use and getting ten thousand step counts into your daily routine.1. It's a start:
Completing ten thousand steps can seem daunting for someone new to fitness. But the goal is to get at least the bare minimum exercise into our otherwise mundane lifestyle.
Start with 5000 steps without making it too overwhelming. An average person takes about three thousand to four thousand steps daily. Putting an effort and taking this up by a thousand steps counts is an achievement you can be proud of. Opt for stairs instead of elevators. Avoid taking your vehicles for everyday grocery needs; you are already a couple of thousand steps ahead.
Taking ten thousand steps daily can help you burn about two thousand to three thousand calories per week. This means you lose about half a kilo every week without trying. If you aim for weight loss, you might have to include more cardio into your workout regimen.
But the benefits of ten thousand steps a day are countless.
● Improves blood pressure: Walking promotes better heart health. This means that your heart can pump blood with less effort, ensuring your blood pressure is normal.
● Stable blood sugar levels: The glucose in your body is used up by your muscles when you are physically active. Hence, walking can lower your blood sugar levels over time.
● A healthy heart: Studies show that walking has significant cardiovascular benefits. By making an effort, you are reducing the chances of a heart attack.
● Improves sleep: Moderate exercises can help you in improving your sleep quality significantly. It also helps eliminate daytime drowsiness and reduces adults' need for sleep medications.
● Strengthens your lungs: Increased heart activity directly indicates more oxygen consumption. This strengthens the lungs and other muscles surrounding it.
These are only some of the many benefits you can gain by inculcating healthy habits. Taking care of yourself should not be a compulsion. Instead, it should be a part of your daily life.
An important thing to note here is that ten thousand steps do not promise a miraculous overnight change. The change in your body is gradual, and consistency is the key. Anything in excess can be harmful, so it is best to start slow. As mentioned above, start your way up from 5000 steps daily to 10,000 steps. A gradual increase of about a thousand steps is recommended to avoid injuries and soreness.
Another great way to look out for yourself is by investing in health insurance plans. There are many health insurance plans in India for you to choose from, depending on your needs. Health insurance is a safety net everyone needs to avoid unforeseen medical expenses that one might incur during various health examinations and treatments.
Click HERE to check out health insurance plans in India.
Disclaimer: The information provided above is for illustrative purposes only. To get more details, please refer to policy wordings and prospectus before purchasing a policy.