Tips to renew the vehicle fitness certificate of your old two-wheeler
Tips to renew the vehicle fitness certificate of your old two-wheeler 25th February 2021
As two-wheelers turn old, their performance and the quality of their internal parts start to deteriorate. Significantly, the engine gets severely affected, which leads to more fuel consumption and harmful emissions. Such two-wheelers are then considered not fit to ride.
If you own an old two-wheeler and wish to ride it on Indian roads legally, then you need to have a fitness certificate for it. The Government of India has made the renewal of fitness certificates convenient by introducing the 'Parivahan Sewa portal' that operates entirely online.
Applying online is a hassle-free process as you only need to fill out a form and submit all the required documents to your local Regional Transport Office (RTO) for verification.
In today's post, we will take you through the step-by-step process of renewing your two-wheeler's fitness certificate online:
1. Go to the official VAHAN website. Begin the renewal process by going to 'Online Services' and selecting 'Vehicle Related Services.'
2. After that, choose your state. Next, click on 'Application for Fitness Certificate' and enter your bike's registration number and chassis number.
3. Following that, generate an OTP using your registered phone number. Enter the one-time password (OTP) that you received on your phone to proceed with the process.
4. Go to the 'Payment' option and complete the transaction to start the renewal fee transfer.
5. After completing these procedures, take the appropriate documentation to your local RTO to complete the two-wheeler fitness renewal process. Officials at the RTO will perform a fitness test on your bike and verify your documents to complete the process.
Steps to renew fitness certificate of two-wheeler offline.
Here is how you can acquire a fitness certificate for your bike offline:
1. Visit the local RTO
2. Fill out an application for a fitness certificate renewal
3. After that, attach the required documents to the application
4. To finish the procedure, pay the RTO the renewal fee for your bike fitness certificate
The officers will review your submitted documents and schedule an appointment for your bike's inspection. You must arrive at the designated centre on time. Here, your two-wheeler will be thoroughly investigated, and if it qualifies the desired parameters, you will be issued the fitness certificate for your bike.
Note: Although the renewal process is the same for both two and four-wheelers, the fee differs for both types of vehicles.
Complete list of documents you will require:
• Tax token
• Registration certificate
• Vehicle permit
• Pollution Under Control Certificate or PUCC
• Valid two-wheeler insurance policy papers
• Passport size photo
According to the Motor Vehicles Act of 1989, a vehicle's registration is only acceptable if a valid Vehicle Fitness Certificate accompanies it. Commercial and private automobiles are required by law to have a fitness certificate. Failing to submit a fitness certificate carries a punishment of Rs. 100. For consecutive violations, the fine is increased to Rs. 300. If you don't have a valid fitness certificate, you'll be fined between Rs. 2,000 to 5,000.
The law also mandates two wheeler insurance India. Failing to have both these documents can lead to hefty fines. Save yourself from the trouble and get the fitness certificate and insurance today. You can only enjoy riding your two-wheeler if you keep the required documents up-to-date and avoid landing yourself in any unwanted trouble.
Click HERE to buy the best two wheeler insurance India.
Disclaimer: The information provided above is for illustrative purposes only. To get more details, please refer to policy wordings and prospectus before purchasing a policy.